C A R I N E T
LOOP of BioNET-INTERNATIONAL
2. To strengthen Centres of Excellence and the NACIs. This would include updating and expanding library resources of the LOOP's designated Centres of Excellence (CEs) with major reference works, taxonomic monographs and subscriptions to relevant serial journals (including purchase of back issues as appropriate.)
3. To build on the information resources survey (conducted by the NECI) including external resources.
4. To ensure the dissemination of information from the results of the survey.
5. To build IT skills and provide IT services with dedicated computers with modem, and CD-ROM readers to these CEs for inter-centres networking and linkage with the NECI. Databases and database access arrangements with major world centres need to be established. Internet access, including e-mail facilities, are required.
6. To develop an efficient information service providing for bioprospecting and all relevant new knowledge, covering traditional taxonomy, molecular techniques, new records, current pest distribution maps quarantine pest lists including the incidence and threats of exotic pest introductions.
9. Relevant information on natural enemies/biological control and bioremediation agents needs to be accessed and kept up to date.
10. Databases, and CD-ROMs (e.g. CABPESTCD, Caribbean Compendium of insect pests, FAO Quarantine database, CABIKEYs for Fruit Flies, Thrips and Coleoptera, Hymeoptera, Coccids and Aphids and Pictorial Keys and Distribution Maps.
11. One Consultant service to assist institutions with the establishment and/or organisation of library and accession / retrieval systems, train staff in computerisation of records and use of databases and electronic products.
b. Development of information products for dissemination in different media formats e.g. e-mail/Internet, printed copy, CD-ROM or diskette. In the first phase this should be in the major languages used in the sub-region i.e. French, Spanish and English.
c. Establishment of core libraries based on already existing library resources at the LOOP's designated Centres of Excellence and updating of library resources with major reference works, taxonomic monographs, subscriptions to relevant journals and reprints (preferably in digital format).
d. Undertake an information resources survey to identify sources of information available to the Network, including a directory of existing external sources of information relevant to biosystematics in the Caribbean sub-region and ensure the availability and dissemination of the results of the survey.
1. Completion and Preparation of resources survey/needs assessment survey [link to Needs Assessment Survey of Biosystematic Resources in the Caribbean, 1996 in Publications section] in formats for dissemination. This would require periodic updating.
2. Identify, establish and strengthen selected Centres of Excellence based
on results of needs
3. Provision of core collection of reference material for the CEs to facilitate their role in the CARINET information network.
4. Preparation and negotiation of MoA with Governments and/or candidate