• CARINET has been instituted by CARICOM Member States to facilitate the improvement of biosystematic services available to the region, and a Secretariat was established through the BioNET Fund.
• CARINET has been the mechanism and enabler for the identification of the noxious pest, the Pink (Hibiscus) Mealybug. This led to recognition of CARINET by international agencies and member countries of the Network as a centre of taxonomic services within CARICOM.
facilitated the training of three scientists through the BioNET Fellowship Programme.
The first Fellowship provided the countries of CARICOM, in the person of Ms. Doreen Jodhan,
(T&T) who worked on macro fungi (Basidiomycetes). The
second Fellowship awarded to Mr. Lennox Chandler
§ Mrs. Pearl Wharton Gill received training at CABI BIOSCIENCE in the identification and characterization of Ralstonia spp.
• CARINET has produced a number of publications, including the Needs Assessment Survey of Biosystematic Resources in the Caribbean and the CARINET Manifesto & Portfolio which was done jointly with the BioNET Technical Secretariat and provides vital background data for its funding bid to agencies.
• CARINET has embarked on the development of databases for the Network with the assistance of the Centre for Technological Cooperation in Agricultural and Rural Development (CTA) and Inter American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture ( IICA).
• CARINET is involved in South-South linkages. One
entomologist was trained in the taxonomy of Alticidae (Chrysomelidae;
§ CARINET has Published the following in 2003-
on the Identification of Weeds of economic importance to the
Ø Identification keys to the insect orders- Coleoptera, Homoptera, Lepidoptera, Hymenoptera- discussed at the ASSP workshop.
on the identification of plant feeding mites with special reference to the
on pests (Arthropods, pathogens, mollusks and weeds) of phytosanitary
significance to the
§ CARINET is currently involved in the establishment
of CariPestNet- A pest and disease Advice and Information network for the